District Vision, Mission and Goals
August 12, 2012
District Mission Statement
The mission of the Riverside Community School District is to prepare students to meet the challenges of the future as responsible citizens in a global society.
- Learning occurs when students are challenged to reach their full potential with clearly-defined, high expectations;
- Individuals are unique and learn at different rates in different ways;
- Appropriate class sizes provide an optimum learning environment;
- Providing a variety of learning experiences, utilizing current technology and using research-based teaching strategies create conditions for successful learning;
- People have a right to learn in a safe, non-threatening environment;
- Appropriate behavior, showing respect towards others, provides this safe, nonthreatening, learning environment;
- Parents, youth, staff, and community should serve as positive role models in academic and co-curricular activities;
- Communities, families, and schools, working in partnership, develop responsible, productive citizens.
All Graduates of Riverside Community School will be:
1. Utilizers of Information
- Who read, comprehend, and interpret data
- Who retrieve, evaluate, and synthesize information to make responsible decisions
- Who have the ability to use technology as a tool to access information
- Who use critical thinking skills to solve problems
2. Effective Communicators
- Who express ideas clearly through writing and speaking
- Who can communicate with diverse audiences
- Who are able to effectively use technology as a means of communicating
3. Self-Directed Learners and Workers
- Who are self-directing, self-motivating and self-evaluating
- Who are resourceful and can work well with others
- Who are able to utilize a common core of knowledge
- Who take responsibility and produce quality work
- Who recognize the need for lifelong learning
- Who are able to incorporate technology as part of the learning process
4. Socially Responsible and Appreciative of Diversity
- Recognizing, appreciating, and tolerating cultural diversity
- Understanding histories of other cultures and how they relate to modern behavior
- Accepting responsibility socially and environmentally
5. Responsible for Personal Wellness
- Demonstrating the need to be healthy and maintain a healthy life style
- Appreciating fine arts, leisure skills, laws and rules of society which contribute to the quality of life
- Demonstrating the ability to successfully perform daily living skills
- Showing appreciating of one’s self, and maintaining ethical standards.
- All K-12 students will achieve at high levels in reading comprehension, prepared for success beyond high school.
- All K-12 students will achieve at high levels in mathematics, prepared for success beyond high school.
- All K-12 students will achieve at high levels in science, prepared for success beyond high school.
- All students will use integrated technology as part of their typical experiences in reading, mathematics and science classes/courses.
- All students will feel safe at and connected to school.